All S.A.F.E. members are required to meet the following qualifications in order to fully represent the true advocate of a student-athlete:
- S.A.F.E. members must pass a background check,
- S.A.F.E. members must be able to meet all guidelines and policies that of the UC Merced Athletics Department,
- Members must be respectful, professionally-mannered, on-time, and responsible young adults,
- Must publicly present themselves as community leaders, UCM School Ambassadors, and as influential role models,
- Members are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, unless otherwise stated by S.A.F.E. Officer's majority decision, and
- All S.A.F.E. members must be able to complete a S.A.F.E. application and attend a mandatory introductory training meeting.